We’re going to have an easier time explaining what we’re working on this week, since we gave you all that sneak peek into what we’ve got planned last week. To remain faithful to what we started doing last week, we’ve kept working on a simple way to keep everyone updated on what’s being focused on. But, before that, what have we gotten accomplished this week?
We’re happy to announce that we had our first multiplayer game of Castle Story yesterday. Four players were able to connect to the same server, build their castles, and even throw some empty barrels at each other. Empty, because we’ve yet to get our explosion system implemented into the multiplayer. It was a whole lot of fun, even if we did run into several bugs. It was entertaining to be able to see what everyone else was doing as they did it. Once we have the more glaring bugs resolved, and the explosions in, we plan to record a video of it for you all.
We’re working on the combat mechanics with the Knights to give them a more interesting set of behaviors to pull from when they’re attacked by the Corruptrons. Sadly, we haven’t had the time this week to put together a video showing off the results of this work, but we can assure you that it’s coming together very nicely.
Germain created a new object this week that will eventually be implemented into the game. It’s going to be a new stockpile specifically for wooden planks. As you can imagine, this is going to have a pretty big effect on the gameplay. Currently, creating wooden floors for your castle is incredibly expensive since each plank will cost you an entire log. Eventually, you’ll be able to separate these logs into multiple planks to use for different structures.
He’s also created a high resolution version of the helmet and sword for the Knight. They still haven’t been textured yet, but the result is still quite nice. We need to create these high resolution versions so we can create normal maps of them.
We’re still hard at work on the walking and running animations these days. We’re still taming the beast that is Mecanim, but we’re getting the hang of it. This will result in smoother animations, and it will also have major repercussions on the displacement of Bricktrons. Currently, the displacement is controlled by the coding, but we want to change that so that we’ll have a more solid and efficient way to move our characters in the world.
Changelog & Roadmap
It took a lot of time to compile, but we now have a pretty complete changelog of the changes made to the prototype since we’re now using Git. There are still a lot of things missing from it since we weren’t keeping a changelog in the past, but we’ll be keeping it current from here onward. We’ll also make sure it’s accessible on every release. You can view what we’ve put together here.
Last week’s roadmap only gave you guys a rough idea of what’s still needed for each section of the game. We’ve been trying to come up with something better, that will be easily updatable so anyone on the team can add, modify or remove things from it. For now, a mind map of our planned features is probably the most efficient method.
Soundtrack of the Week
Hey guys! Box here again! We’re changing things up a little bit this week. Generally, we’ve given you guys an entire album of a selected artist. Well, in all honesty, the well has run a bit dry there. So, instead, I’ve opted to give you guys my personal playlist of what I’ve been listening to this week while at work. This is how I’ll (generally) be doing things from week to week now. The upshot is that you’ll get more variety. The downside is that you’ll be hearing some songs multiple weeks. All that being said, if you have an artist or playlist that you’d like to see featured here, please post in the comments and I’ll look into it! Do keep in mind that we have younger readers here on the blog, so please, no gangster rap or anything. Enjoy!
And, as always, thanks for reading!
37 Comments for Dev diary number fifty one : Multiplayer & Multiplanks