Over the past few blogs, you’ve all seen that we’re working on a whole lot of features that are going to be implemented in the next version of Castle Story. We’re not at a stage where we’re depending a lot on each other’s work, and we needed something to help us keep track of where things are with each of the new features. We were using spreadsheets and documents, but that was starting to get a bit too difficult to maintain. So, we erased our whiteboard, with all the little drawings, and instead covered it with post-its. Sadly, the incredible heat in our studio right now is making them fall off a lot. I’m not saying it’s hot in here, but a couple hobbits did come by and throw a ring into the studio earlier. After turning invisible, I reinforced the post-its with some scotch tape. The picture won’t really tell you much, since there is a fair bit there that concerns the studio administration rather than the game’s development, but I wanted to share it with you guys anyway.
We recently compiled the multiplayer server for the first time on Windows. This means that we can now launch a server very easily on both Windows and Mac. There’s still a lot of work left to do on the client side, but it seems that everything is gradually sliding into place.
We’ve been hard at work refining the combat mechanics for Knights and Archers. We were running into a lot of priority conflicts that were breaking the game. For example, when we wanted them to retreat and told them to do so, they instead decided they’d rather keep fighting. We still don’t have it all working properly, but the behaviors and reactions are steadily improving, and the knights are already much better.
Remember the new puff shader we showed you guys a couple weeks ago? Well, it’s given us the ability to change a lot of stuff about how the particle system works, giving us much smoother and nicer results. So, I present to you the new explosions!
Bug of the week!
Recently, we realized that we’ve had plenty of funny bugs, enough to show almost every week. We also realized that showing them off has been really appreciated by our readers. So, we’ve decided to create an official section of the blog specifically for these funny bugs. This doesn’t mean we’ll have one every week, though. Ideally, we wouldn’t have any, because that means we aren’t running into bugs. but, so long as we do have them, and they make us laugh, we figured we should share. And the past few weeks have proven it’s easy to add bits about funny bug behaviors into our posts.
So, this week we started refactoring the catapults, which were really difficult to use in the prototype as you guys probably recall. We started turning it into a more structured state machine that will be much easier to actually use. Obviously, this couldn’t be done without running into some bugs during the refactoring. The glitches didn’t last long though, and the catapult is already getting better and better.
Soundtrack of the Week
Hey guys, Box here again! I’m gonna showcase a smaller band this week. I met these guys last year at the Escapist Expo, and I really enjoyed their stuff. They’ve got a unique sound, and do a lot of video game covers. They’ve even got a little Final Fantasy 3(6) and Chrono Trigger in this particular album. They’re Random Encounter. check out their stuff, and enjoy!
And, as always, thanks for reading.
24 Comments for Dev diary number fifty seven : Post-it and explosions!